Wednesday, January 27, 2016

We're On the Other Side!! - Part II


So Mandell 3 is literally connected to the recovery area and operating rooms. So connected you have to cut through them each time you want to go to the cafeteria or lobby/elevators. Easy to get in and out but only if you know with purpose where you're going. 

Benjamin swollen from surgery hooked up to an IV - Boston Children's Hospital

He stayed in the same bed the entire time but was hooked up to the monitors there. Blood pressure, oxygen, pules, IV (he received on bag of IV fluids the entire stay). We met our assigned nurse, Kristen, she was wonderful and very helpful. It was nice knowing she would be assigned with us both Monday and Tuesday. At night we had Nurse Charlene who was very wonderful as well. 

The moment we got to the room, I was able to nurse him. It seriously was the best thing I could have done. It helped me get over the fear I had of touching him and hurting him, he was able to eat which is crucial as we had to save every dirty diaper because they were weighing the fluids. Also nursing is a natural pain relief. The nurses were very helpful and helped position him and move all his wires. I must say the wires were a pain in the butt as they were constantly getting knocked off of him and each time it happened the nurses came rushing in. 

The day went by pretty quickly once we were in our "suite". My father brought big brother Lucas up to visit and to pick up my mother who had stayed with us the whole time. They gave me the opportunity to grab some food and some snacks to get through the night. 

Getting to finally hold Benjamin for the first time since surgery - Boston Children's Hospital

As parents we were required to wear badges at first it was just a name tag but then we had to get "official" ID's since we would be coming and going. Most importantly for my husband as that would allow the elevators to work after 8 PM when visiting hours ended. 

Aside from the nurses our night was undisturbed and he was minimally interrupted. It was great as he slept most of the time. As night time shift changed, we were aware that only one parent was allowed to stay over night. I had read in the Cranio Facebook group I belong to that depending on the nurse depends on whether both parents could stay over. Just to be sure my mother had booked a room at a nearby hotel for my husband but didn't prepay. As it got later we started to panic and thought about him staying closer or sleeping in the arm chair and I'd sleep on the pull out chair a nurse suggested the cots in a community area for parents to sleep on and sent us to family services to find out. 

Family Services proved to be a big help. The cots were all taken (regardless they are reserved for parents with children in the intensive care units). I asked about the Ronald McDonald house but was told those are exclusively for children who have cancer and their families. She did say she would contact two of BCH houses similar to the Ronald McDonald house and see if they have room as they'd rather the rooms be full than empty but also prefer the rooms to be used by more serious issues or long term stays. She gave me a list of hotels that offer discounts in the area as well. I walked back to Benjamin's room with plans that he'd either sleep in the terrible chair or use the hotel we had reserved. The moment I got back I had a missed call from family services! They had availability in the Yawkey House for Colin. $30 per night and she reserved two nights just in case but he had to go immediately down to complete the paperwork. We were so relieved. It was extremely close by about 85% cheaper than what we were to pay and had a shuttle. My husband could also stay as long as he wanted with us before heading back. The Yawkey House was six blocks away from BCH. 

Pull out chair - Horribly uncomfortable but served the purpose!

Messy bed - I put a sleeping bag down first then the fitted sheet to make it a little softer. It also helped when Benjamin vomited several times and saved the sleeping bag. 

My husband stayed with us until about 10:30 that night and I just all but passed out. I was so exhausted I'm pretty sure I could have slept on the floor! Benjamin did excellent. The nurse came in once at 12 for night meds and vitals and he slept right through it! He then woke up at 4 AM to nurse, vitals, and tylenol. Almost immediately after, Benjamin projectile vomited three times. I called the nurses because I had never seen him throw up before, as this was a lot of volume and definitely more than just a little spit up. The nurse had thought it is all just from stress of surgery, and probably just eating too much when comfort nursing. Too many hours had passed for it to be an effect from anesthesia.

Bandage hat removed, getting ready to be cleared to go home - Boston Children's Hospital


We were able to sleep for about another hour when we were woken by a Neurosurgeon "fellow" who works with Dr. Proctor. She was the same one who came to check on Benjamin when me and the day nurse were concerned that Benjamin's eyes were rapidly twitching. She came to see if he had the eye movements again and I reported that my husband and I saw it once more and attempted to film it but couldn't zoom in enough to actually see the fluttering. She said it was probably just a symptom of him coming off the morphine and anesthesia and no need to worry. After that she left and about an hour later another neurosurgeon fellow came in. Quietly removed his "bandage hat" and took a look at his head and any remaining swelling. My little man is a warrior and almost all the swelling had been peed out! He also had minimal bruising (on the side of his nose in the corner of his left eye, on the top of his skull, and on both hands and top of his feet). He told me Dr. Proctor would be in to see us shortly.

Night after surgery - Boston Children's Hospital


When Dr. Proctor came in, he did a quick scan. Reiterated the cleaning instructions and about the helmet and reminded me to call Hanger (the helmet guy, Brian). After that he said he could definitely go home today! We have a follow up with him in early March after helmet number one! That was around 6 AM, right before I am guessing his long list of surgeries!

After that it was just a matter of waiting around to be released. The nurse told us to anticipate some time between 9 and 11 AM. They were amazed at Benjamin (and little babies in general) and how strong they are. I don't think anyone was more amazed than me as his mother!! 

Sitting and waiting to go home was the worse. I was starving and my husband was checking out of the Yawkey Inn (he had to wash and dry his sheets so it took a bit of time). The nurses though were fantastic, I was absolutely famished (if anyone knows me they know I literally have to eat every two hours or I will be a miserable angry person). My husband wouldn't be back until 9 so that would have been all night and all morning without eating. Our assigned nurse came in and watched him for me so I could run and grab a breakfast pastry. I didn't go far just to au bon pain not even the cafeteria and ran straight up to the room. As I rounded the corner I could hear them talking and giggling over the most adorable baby. It really melted my heart. 

Packed up and ready to drive home! - Boston Children's Hospital 

Close up of his head just as we leave the hospital! - Boston Children's Hospital


The rest of the morning was, thankfully, uneventful. At 10 the Neurosurgeon Nurse Practitioner came in to give us his discharge papers. And at around 11 after packing up we got to head straight home!

Now the real test.... the first night home without nurses and doctors!

No comments:

Post a Comment